Concrete, although durable, could still acquire damage if exposed to it frequently. A Kansas City concrete driveway, for example, is exposed to foot and vehicular traffic, rain, snow, UV rays, and more. Cracks are the most common and most evident signs of damage. Anything that is not flexible is most likely to crack. However, the repair will depend on what’s causing it. Spalling is another concrete issue that is common on driveways. This is the weakening of the top layer of the slab, often due to freeze-thaw cycles. This caused bits and pieces of concrete to loosen and break free from the slab.
Resurfacing is an easier and faster way to bring a concrete driveway back to its glorious state, if not better. Despite its affordability, the broad range of design and color options will definitely make it a lot more luxurious than it actually costs.
Common Concrete Driveway Problems
Concrete, although durable, could still acquire damage if exposed to it frequently. A concrete driveway, for example, is exposed to foot and vehicular traffic, rain, snow, UV rays, and more. Cracks are the most common and most evident signs of damage. Anything that is not flexible is most likely to crack. However, the repair will depend on what’s causing it. Spalling is another concrete issue that is common on driveways. This is the weakening of the top layer of the slab, often due to freeze-thaw cycles. This caused bits and pieces of concrete to loosen and break free from the slab.
Ideal Concrete Driveway Solutions
A driveway is qualified to be resurfaced or refinished if it only has minimal damage and surface issues. Anything deep and extensive would be better off replaced. For qualified concrete surfaces, these overlay and coatings would surely be beneficial:
- Stamped Concrete Overlay – Stamping patterns on a concrete overlay is an ideal solution to improving or enhancing a driveway. The texture of the stamped design helps increase traction, making it a safer surface to tread on. Popular concrete stamped driveway patterns include ashlar, flagstone, brick, cobblestone, and more.
- Stained Concrete – If the driveway is only suffering from grease stains or discoloration, staining the slab is enough to improve its appearance. Acid stains produce random effects caused by the chemical reaction between the metallic salts, lime, and minerals. Water-based stains produce more consistent colors.
- Spray Texture – A spray knockdown texture is also a good coating for driveways. Its spray texture adds grip and creates a subtle appeal that will definitely make any head turn. This troweled concrete finish is also capable of maintaining a low temperature despite exposure to heat is also a notable feature. A cool driveway means fewer chances of melting rubber tires and ugly tire tracks.
Concrete Driveway Cost
When it comes to affordability, concrete comes up at the top of the list. There is no fixed rate, however, as to how much resurfacing or refinishing would actually cost. The reason behind this is that there are so many elements that need to be considered to accurately calculate the total cost. Some of the most influential are:
- Size of the job
- Processes involved in the surface preparation stage, like driveway repair.
- The type of coating or overlay used
- Added customization like staining, custom scoring, engraving, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
The average cost of driveway paver installation in Jackson county in 2021 will be between $1,869.00 and $2,060.00. It comprises material expenses ranging from $9.00 to $10.00 per square foot, average labor expenses for installation, supplies and equipment, and all project costs (surface preparation, components, and gear), as well as cleanup fees.
Pour concrete to a thickness of at least 4 inches. According to the Tennessee Concrete Association, increasing the thickness of your concrete from 4 to 5 inches will cost you around 20% more but will increase the load-carrying capability of your driveway by over 50%.
Decorative paints and coatings can range from $8 to $18 per square foot for a concrete driveway. A basic gray concrete driveway, on the other hand, costs $5 to $7 per square foot to install. Concrete is an excellent choice for creating the appearance of stone or pavers without the hefty expense. The possibilities are unlimited, so you can create a one-of-a-kind driveway that adds to the curb appeal of your property.
Get the driveway of your dreams. Meet with a concrete contractor that’s already been in the business for many years, trusted, insured, & bonded! Call (816) 307-0325 to know your options.
Any homeowner would love to have a stunning and functional driveway. Resurfacing or refinishing an existing concrete driveway in Kansas City is a great way to acquire the aesthetics and durability that you have always desired and deserved. Kansas City Concrete Artisans is one of the leading decorative concrete contractors that specialize in epoxy flooring, polyurea polyaspartic, spray texture, staining, and stamped overlay installation.
Whether you own a private or public driveway, you deserve something dreamy at a cost you can afford. We can help you with that. Call or email for a free consultation and quote in the Kansas City area.